Sunday, June 8, 2008

I survived Run the Rockies


My running group: Brady, Erika, Tiffany, me and Erin

I almost didn't do the half marathon. You have to understand that I had a choice to make. I had ran almost 6 miles with the 10K crowd and they were about to branch off and be done with their race. I, on the other hand, had 7 more miles to go. If I only knew that the course was about to go up a two mile hill, followed by a mile and a half down hill, and a flat I am not sure that I would have continued. And if I had known that I had turn around and climb that really steep mile and a half downhill, I am almost positive that I would have turned around. But I continued on because I had something to prove.

When Erin, one of the girls I was racing with, passed me on her way back and said " HOLY COW!!!!" I knew that I was in trouble on the way back. I was on mile 7, and still feeling good but the 2 mile uphill climb was really starting to get to me. When the hill climb was over the course stated twisting sharply downhill which was awesome until I realized that I would have to climb this ridiculous hill I was running down. At mile 9 we turned around only to face the monster of a hill that Erin deemed HOLY COW. I walked up most of it. I was glad to get that hill over with but I was done. Physically, and mentally. I still had almost three miles to go. I walked most of the way back, alternating 30 seconds of jogging with a minute of walking. I did jog the last half mile but that was because it was on the Frisco Main Street. I had somewhat of an image to keep. ( This picture shows me in the distance with the mountains behind me)


What I taught was a three hour race turned out to be a 2 hour 33 minute race. Not too bad I think. Overall I finished 22 in my division and 83 in the women's overall. Granted, there were only 99 women. But I did beat some.

7 comments:

amber schmidt said...

Your awesome! It sounds like it was a hard race. Are you going for the full marathon next???

Unknown said...

YOU ARE AMAZING!!! I am totally in awe, congratulations!!! And what a beautiful place to run, what beautiful mountains!
Good job!

Lindsay said...

Wow-Way to Go!

TheSmithLife said...

I'm so happy you did it! Great job :) The mountains look awesome, I bet it felt so great to be out there running!!!! So is Chris going to join you if you do another one? :)

The Miz said...

You are a trooper! Great job!

Coley said...

Way to go Tara! It sounds like it was such a hard run! You finished way high in your division too. I think you are awesome.

Erin said...

You are so awesome!! You did great--such a great finish time. I mean seriously, to have finished faster than your goal and on that course?! YOU ROCK.