Friday, October 24, 2008

Eleven years has flown by....




I was fourteen when my best friend was killed in a car accident. Her funeral was held on my 15th birthday. Every year I still mourn the death of a person that knew my very soul. I think that we should have been sisters. It is funny to me that someone I knew for only a year an a half would touch my life so completely that I would still be thinking about her on a daily basis. I wonder what her life would be like. I think about her family and visit them as often as i can, Usually twice a year.

This picture is taken when we went to girls camp in 1997. The Summer before she died. I think that is one of my favorite memories of her. The last night that we were there we snuck out into the trees between camp and the bathrooms. Then when people passed in the dark we would jump out and scare the living day lights out of them. SO FUNNY! We also snuck out that night and raided the fridge, stole underwear and made a general nuisance of ourselves! The best thing about our friendship is that we didn't have to have a lot to do. Most of our hanging out consisted of us walking around the block in circles for hours just talking. We had notebook after notebook of notes. The July before she died her family moved to Idaho. We wrote 20 letters back and forth in the space of 3 months. Plus weekly phone calls(The days before long distance was free on everyone's cell phones!). I really do miss her.

I am so thankful for a gospel that tells me that I knew her before I came to this earth and I will know her later. Love ya Chelsea.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it's been 11 years! I know there was a purpose behind it all. I know that one of the reasons was making us all closer. I also think about her, especially now. Remember those nights we slept on the tramp? And listening to Queen in her room so loud Tammy had to bang on the ceiling. Or what about all the cows and sunflowers? And I will always remember your birthday night those all too long 11 years. It was good times and I know she was there too. I love you all so much - especially you Chels!

amber schmidt said...

It's amazing how people can have such an impact on your life. I guess it's just motivation to become better ourselves. Ya, I should work on that!!

Kelly Munns said...

what a good post. i know how much you love chelsea. and i'm sure she knows it too :)

btw...happy birthday! i can't believe i forgot!

Erin said...

What a beautiful post Tara. How lucky to have had a friend that amazing...and how wonderful to know that she's waiting for you on the the other side...

And...happy late birthday!